1600-1740_PRESENTATIONS_FROM_BREAKOUTS_AND_CALL_TO_ACTIONS

Presentations From Breakouts with Call to Actions

Identify the following before beginning your session. Do not move forward until these are decided / assigned:

  • Session Topic: Presentations From Breakouts with Call to Actions
  • Topic Facilitator(s): sarahnovotny@
  • Note-taker(s) (Collaborating on this doc): Jason Singer DuMars, Nilay Yener
  • Person responsible for converting to Markdown & uploading to Github: nyener@

Session Notes

SIG GOVERNANCE AND SIG CHECK IN

  • Discussed cross cutting SIG concerns and how to accomplish
  • Create certificate for SIGs
  • SIG Leads office hours
  • SIG Leads mailing list ~ open vs. closed – read-only
  • Private comms will happen in committees

IDENTIFYING AREAS THAT ARE FALLING THROUGH THE CRACKS

Focused a lot on other contributions that are getting lost:

  • want to help other people and companies take part in non-coding activities
  • How do we call out other contributions
  • Incentives for other contributions
  • SIGs need to harness the value in Kubernetes
  • SIGs might have different roles, i.e. docs, etc.
  • Identify and fill roles
  • No unfunded mandates, calling out companies that contribute
  • Recognize companies that contribute maintenance
  • Credits for the release
  • Incentivise individuals as well
  • Need to be cognizant of company marketing around Kubernetes
  • By recognizing roles, you can provide continuity and pride, e.g. k8sbot
  • Conformance working group
  • We need to defend the trademark or lose it
  • We need to identify repositories that use the kubernetes- taxonomy
  • Develop a better way to assess contributions, leaderboard issue (see action item)

CODE ORGANIZATION + IMPROVING THE RELEASE PROCESS

  • Brian’s presentation on why we wanted to break out the repos
  • Accepting limitations in GitHub
  • Service catalog is already doing this
  • Near term direction untangling dependencies
  • How are we executing with kubectl
  • Integration and testing across different repos is hard
  • SIGs involved are API Machinery, CLI and Cluster Lifecycle
  • Need a working group to sort out the approach

BUILDING COMMUNITY EFFECTIVENESS

  • Talked about how to get more engagement in meetings
  • introductions
  • pair mentors
  • find out what people want to do
  • don’t put mission critical work on new contribs
  • watch time zones
  • keep SIG meeting as status, focus on 1:1 for work
  • off-weeks for office hours
  • User on-boarding SIG
  • education
  • 1:1s
  • welcome wagon
  • Cluster Ops working on this for operators

What went well?

  • Breakouts
  • Networking time
  • Face to face talking
  • More content - more breaks
  • Continued note taking and making things available. Templates are really helpful
  • 3 SIGs had a cross SIG collaboration
  • Morning single track

What would you do differently?

  • bad timing with code freeze
  • Record sessions so there’s a better record
  • Red Hat was under-represented, so we should consider East
  • Not a lot of decisions were made, how do we do things instead of just talking about it?
  • “Stability is important” but there’s not an action item
  • Lack of specific focus
  • More engagement with the agenda ahead of time

Risks

  • Too little governance
  • Conformance from the CNCF
  • Stability is not getting worked on
  • How do you balance convergence vs. divergence
  • We are not getting true customer voice - what user experience is - get feedback from product.
  • We need to make it easier for people who wants to find out what Kubernetes is about

Conclusions

Key Takeaways / Analysis of Situation

Recommendations & Decisions Moving Forward (High-Level)

Specific Action Items (& Owners)

Action Item Owner(s)
Read-only on SIG-Leads list instead of closed SIG Cloud SIG Leads mailing list
Proposal for how we recognize contributions Quinton Hoole
Need a SIG owner on utilities Tim Hockin
Ladders Kris N
Regular community check-ins Brian Grant
Describe the end state and then assign breakout work to SIGs. Working group needs to be organized Brian Grant
Working group organization or a SIG that oversees this Machinery CLI Cluster Lifecycle

SIG Meetings * Intro * Pair mentors * Find out what people want to do * Off weeks for office hours * find out what people want to do * don’t put mission critical work on new contribs * watch time zones * keep SIG meeting as status, focus on 1:1 for works

SIG User Onboarding * education * 1:1s * welcome wagon * Cluster Ops working on this for operators

Communicate stability decision User support rotation as a way of getting real-world feedback

Link to original doc